How to set up a shop

joit

Hi,

I want to set up a small shop / ordering system with fabrik. Adding products and ordering them should be done in front end by users with different ACLs.
I think I'll do it with one table and 2 different fabrik lists. One list has elements for the vendor (adding items), the other list has elements for the client (order checkbox and quantity).

Does this make sense or do you have a better idea?

Thanks
Hannes

Well, you'll obviously need at least tables, 'products' and 'orders'.

The vendors can add / edit the products list, clients order through the order form, which would use a join to the products table for product selection. I presume you would then use the PayPal form plugin, which would use a few lines of custom PHP to calculate the cost.

-- hugh

I think ordering would be done by selecting an existing item in your product list (i.e. a list php plugin managing something like a shopping cart).

What should the client do with the new addorder/products form? Create something like "I'm searching for xy"?

"I think ordering would be done by selecting an existing item in your product list" - yeah, I have a dropdown for the quantity. Does this require a php plugin? Isn't it possible to store that in the order table?

"What should the client do with the new addorder/products form?" - sorry I don't understand that question. Whenever the client saved an order form, the vendor should be notified per email about the ordern.

upload_2016-3-18_11-36-1.png It's an empty form (and during my last post Item/Description etc were editable), not related to any existing product.

I don't understand your setup/workflow.

yes, I have a problem there.
I have table oders and products. Orders has a left join to products with order_id element.
Whenever a client wants to make an order, he uses the order form.

Is my thinking correct?

do you think I should rather choose database join elements for choosing the products?

I still don't see what you exactly are trying to do.
Do you know which DB structure you need?

To order multiple items with "individual" quantities you'll need a repeated group one item- one quantity, not a dbjoin as multiselect/checkbox

Reactions: rob
An alternative would be to use J2store with our beta j2store plugin which turns fabrik lists into products.
Unless you have some very custom requirements I think that would be the better way to go as you get a lot of 'shop' features automatically generated for you

"I still don't see what you exactly are trying to do."
I want to set up a shop in a way that clients can order items the vendor has entered. Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction here, that's why I'm asking for help.

"Do you know which DB structure you need?"
I have a table "orders" and a table "products"
This is probably a one (product) to many (orders) relationship. I first wanted to solve this by using a table join. This way I thought I have more influence about the layout. It also seems to be a working way because it is proposed in the link you gave me:
This type of relationship is know as a "one to many" relationship and can often be created in Fabrik by use of a database join element, or by adding a join to the Fabrik table.
When you said it would be better to restart I tried the database joins and some other problems came up...

"To order multiple items with "individual" quantities you'll need a repeated group one item- one quantity, not a dbjoin as multiselect/checkbox"
So my initial thought to use a table join was right?

To order multiple items with "individual" quantities you'll need a repeated group one item- one quantity, not a dbjoin as multiselect/checkbox
For getting this to work, is item and quantity in the same table or different tables?
And if they are in the same table, how do I make the difference between adding products (vendor) and making an order (client)?

Last edited:
I've Syped Rob about this thread, hopefully he'll see it. He's in Vietnam visiting with family atm. And I really have no clue about the j2store stuff, never even installed it. I'll try and find time to have a play with it soon.

-- hugh

Actually, I think taht the j2store thing is too bloated for my needs.
I just want to build a marketplace, much simpler than the app store or craigslist.com or grubhub.
Vendors should be able to register and insert some products. Clients should be able to make orders of products with selectable quantities. I don't want to do have anything with payments. Vendors and clients fiddle that out by themselves.
Now I don't know how to make the client part work. How do I display the products to the clients?

Last edited:
As always: it depends on what you want... (now, in future...)

For example you can have a order form
  • one group with client information (name, address,...)
  • one repeatable group with
  • dbjoin to products
  • maybe elements to fill with product informations, filled via autofill form plugin (not sure if this is working in repeatable groups)
  • field for quantity
  • calc for price total
  • maybe field for remarks
  • php plugin to send mails to the vendors of the selected products, maybe to reduce available quantities,...

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back