F4 Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it seeemed to work. i.e. I created a list, etc from an existing db table, but couldn't create a second. Also trying to access Fabrik Options resulted in a 500 page.
Wipe it off and try again. I shall report back, if I survive.

And still problems they come. At least now I have a message not seen before - below - however the directory is writable as evidenced by the files in it - 2nd pic.
Any thoughts folks ?
upload_2023-6-6_18-8-51.png

upload_2023-6-6_18-6-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2023-6-6_18-6-16.png
    upload_2023-6-6_18-6-16.png
    4 KB · Views: 50
These are the file access rights, what are the tmp folder settings?
Who is owner 503? Maybe there's an other www-owner.

In J!3 there was a FTP layer
upload_2023-6-6_19-17-54.png

I don't see it in J!4

As you say, FTP Settings are in the Global Config - Server section, no idea where now.
There's a reference to it here: https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=989173 'Yes the ftp stuff has been removed. It hasnt actually worked for a long time and you should never have needed to use it.'
The second pic is from WinSCP FTP client, I guess 503 describes the website, which is hosted by Siteground.
I've tried 755 and even 777 for the folder, i.e. rwx rwx rwx
Getting into areas about which I know nothing there - but thinking it seems to point to the problem area.

I don't know much about server stuff either.
Do you have J!3/F3 sites working there?
Maybe you can contact Siteground.
I think the "PHP temporary folder" is not necessarily the J! tmp folder

What does J! show in System Information/Folder Permission?

It seems you are not the only one...
https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=811&t=997093

Last edited:
This problem sometimes occurs due to "ownership" of the files. You are uploading the files via FTP but the server probably doesn't have ownership or permissions to use them. Where possible you should upload and extract files via your webhosts file manager, such as Cpanel. It looks like Siteground uses something called site tools.

Find your file manager, go to the root of your Joomla installation and upload the Delta zip to that location. Then look for an extraction tool to extract all files. This should overwrite all the existing files, (the same files), but with the correct permissions.

I don't know much about server stuff either.
Do you have J!3/F3 sites working there?
Maybe you can contact Siteground.
I think the "PHP temporary folder" is not necessarily the J! tmp folder
What does J! show in System Information/Folder Permission?

So, by running phpinfo() I find that when you specifically ask your host to advise the path to your root directory and they give you /home/customer/site.com/public_html/ and that works for session and log files in Joomla you need to replace the customer bit with a string that they don't give you in your php.ini. Doing so clears the folder write issue. A glimmer of daylight. Then, running the delta zip install, I get dumped on a 500 page again while most of the install loads except com_fabrik, pkg_fabrik.manifest.class.php and pkg_fabrik.xml
With those uploaded from the delta zip I shall carry on and report back for the benefit of any who have nothing better to do. Many thanks to all who have tried to help I shall soldier on :confused:

This problem sometimes occurs due to "ownership" of the files. You are uploading the files via FTP but the server probably doesn't have ownership or permissions to use them. Where possible you should upload and extract files via your webhosts file manager, such as Cpanel. It looks like Siteground uses something called site tools.

Find your file manager, go to the root of your Joomla installation and upload the Delta zip to that location. Then look for an extraction tool to extract all files. This should overwrite all the existing files, (the same files), but with the correct permissions.
Interesting point felixcat; I do mix use of the SG file manager with that of WinSCP but loaded the missing com_fabrik via Joomla install, of course the other two files went in via FTP, I shall try as you suggest and see what happens -- meanwhile I've found Fabrik working in as much as I've added a couple of list but still very flakey trying to access the 'options' page, it takes an age to load and then crashes. We shall see.

Last edited:
Interesting point felixcat; I do mix use of the SG file manager with that of WinSCP but loaded the missing com_fabrik via Joomla install, of course the other two files went in via FTP, I shall try as you suggest and see what happens -- meanwhile I've found Fabrik working in as much as I've added a couple of list but still very flakey trying to access the 'options' page, it takes an age to load and then crashes. We shall see.
Uploading the Delta zip to the root directory, then extracting it left me with a new folder called pkg_fabrik_4.0delta with the content of the parent zip inside -- oh dear. :oops:

Luckily inside an additional folder;)

I think @felixkat mixed this up with an update via GitHub zip.

Even the included com_fabrik_4.0delta.zip doesn't contain the J! folder structure.
You can try to extact this file, then copy the content of
/admin to administrator/com_fabrik
/site to /com_fabrik
/media (contains the folder com_fabrik) to/media

But all these steps are bandaids.
It would be better to find the underlying reason.
Do you have the possibility to use an other server?

I think you've mentioned Admin Tools previously. I removed that a while ago bu am now wondering if something remains
So this all is on an updated J!3/F3 site?

Did you try to do a new clean J!4 installation and then install F4Delta on this server (with nothing else but maybe Akeeba backup)?

Last edited:

Even the included com_fabrik_4.0delta.zip doesn't contain the J! folder structure.
You can try to extact this file, then copy the content of
/admin to administrator/com_fabrik
/site to /com_fabrik
/media (contains the folder com_fabrik) to/media

But all these steps are bandaids.
It would be better to find the underlying reason.
Do you have the possibility to use an other server?

So this all is on an updated J!3/F3 site?

Did you try to do a new clean J!4 installation and then install F4Delta on this server (with nothing else but maybe Akeeba backup)?
I had Fabrik3 working well in PHP 7.4 for around 6 years on J3 - still is on another site. Established a new domain to accept a copy of the original and went through the update processes for J3-4 and F3-4 in PHP 8.1.19. Various problems with that so cleaned all out and installed a new J 4.3.2 at the new domain and here we are. A curious by product at this point is that neither Fabrik 'options' or Joomla 'options' pages play nicely, taking an age to load and then crashing. Running debug seems to cause more problems than it fixes. As mentioned above, the temp folder is now working. I'll try the com_fabrik routine you suggest above. Thanks for taking the time.

But which site do you mean with Joomla "options"?
The new J4 F4 site. The other J3F3 site is fine.
The options page problem in J and F only started after Fabrik was installed- if installed is the right word given the difficulties.
I'm going to clear it all out, double check all the site settings, htaccess, etc and re-install J, get that solid and try again with F.
BTW. where I referred to J 'options' page, I meant J Global Config - sorry for confusion, getting tired.
See you on the other side.

Last edited:
Clearly J4/F4.
But which exact backend menu/Url?
I can't see "Options" in "System" or "Dashboard"

Global Config is using the file configuration.php
So this seems to point also to some access permission issue...

Yep, it was a cross between Github update and the process I had to perform on one of my sites, so sorry for the confusion. I'm still catching up with all the changes :oops:

One site I had simply refused to work and I had to install the various zips one by one to get up and running. I haven't found the cause yet but I have a backup of that site before I upgraded, so I intend to look at it.

I tried that. So far only semblance of success is with the #15 (& #18 lori19) method above.
Where should I place or what should I do with pkg_fabrik.manifest.class.php and pkg_fabrik.xml ?

To answer my own question: I found administrator/manifests/packages/fabrik and administrator/manifests/packages respectively. :)

This process should work, despite being tedious. I would try an avoid FTP as the permissions can get messed up depending on how your web host has applied them.

JUST to clarify though. Are these latest issues on a new build? i.e a new Joomla & Fabrik installation?

Last edited:
Do not attempt to upgrade from F3 to F4 with this method as there are changes that need to be done prior to the installation of the various components. These changes are run in the pkg_fabrik.manifest.class.php which will only run when the complete package is installed.

You could in theory extract this file and run it independently but it would require some hacking to get it to run correctly. I do not advise it.

Do not attempt to upgrade from F3 to F4 with this method as there are changes that need to be done prior to the installation of the various components. These changes are run in the pkg_fabrik.manifest.class.php which will only run when the complete package is installed.

You could in theory extract this file and run it independently but it would require some hacking to get it to run correctly. I do not advise it.
Which method?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back